ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Identical procedures does not produce identical results
View Single Post

Lakeside

Old 11-24-2017, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
This is my 12th year teaching, and my 3rd year teaching 3rd grade. Prior to this I've taught 2nd grade and k-8 art. I believe I have a positive relation with the students.
Interesting. Did your current 3rd graders have you for art in kinder? Maybe they're still associating you with the more relaxed atmosphere of a specials class?

Quote:
If I could determine who those students are, I could apply a consequence.
IIRC, you had posted before about not knowing where noise was coming from, but I don't remember if anyone asked then whether you've had your hearing checked? Maybe there's something physical making the different sounds difficult to distinguish?

Quote:
I've been accused of being "too nice" to students.
I can be like that too! And I do believe a real relationship with your students is the ideal, but I think you kind of have to start tougher and lighten up, rather than starting right off in "nice" mode. (I know that doesn't help much for this year, but maybe good advice for next year?)

I did think of one more thing for pack-up time, though - music. What if you had a "pack-up playlist" (something like the Schoolhouse Rock multiplication songs) and you allowed them to quietly sing along while putting stuff away?

The goal would be do stay on pace and finish by the end of the songs. Pack-up is a noisy part of the day, and it comes just when our tolerance for noise is wearing thin! But I think it might help you handle the noise better if they were at least all saying the same thing, instead of many different things at once.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net