ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Identical procedures does not produce identical results
View Single Post

Ucan

Take a Step Back
Old 11-24-2017, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I believe I have a positive relation with the students.

A positive relationship between you and your students is not measured by their willingness to share things with you (e.g. what I did on Saturday) or their waving to you as you drive by. More accurately, it is reflected in their respect for you - or lack thereof - as the authority figure in the classroom. (This will probably ruffle some teachers' feathers, but who cares!) Contrary to what you may have been told, you must earn your students' respect and vice versa. You report that most of your students tend to simply ignore your directions - this clearly demonstrates their disrespect for you as a teacher. Based on what you've written, I would conclude that you do not have a positive relationship with your students.

The students don't seem interested in competing.

I have never met a 3rd grade class that didn't like competitive activities. It's most likely how you set up the competition that causes it to fail. Perhaps you would consider letting a 2-3 of your top students have the privilege of setting up a fun academic activity with a competitive element. No prizes, points, or tickets needed.

I believe the problem is that consequences are not severe enough to change a student's behavior.

A major obstacle in your efforts to change student behavior is the absence of clear and meaningful consequences. You have expressed confusion about what to do when multiple consequences fail to change a student's behavior. Both MissESL and GreyhoundGirl have expressed the importance of practice, "A hundred times if necessary". Pick the consequence carefully to ensure that it gets everyone's attention - the more severe the better. Ask us for suggestions, if you don't know what is guaranteed to work. Stick with one consequence until you get the desired result - if you give up too soon, students will view you as a failure and will continue their bad behavior with renewed vigor. Your students are actually modeling what you should be doing - be tough and don't compromise.

Have you decided what will you be doing differently on Monday? I'm just guessing, but I think you could probably benefit from practicing your "mean teacher look" (actually more like an emotionless poker face) in the mirror before returning to the classroom. I learned not to smile when discussing serious issues like misbehavior. Good luck!

Last edited by Ucan; 11-24-2017 at 08:53 PM..
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net