ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Identical procedures does not produce identical results
View Single Post

Fenwick

Old 11-25-2017, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Not sure what you mean by procedures "reset"? Consider: 1) Sit down and make a list of all the procedures/rules you will need to create a learning environment - hand signals, passing papers, line up, entering room, free time, drinks, pencils etc. You should come up with about 20. Then prioritize (1-20) the list with "must have, first" to "this can wait". Put the list on the board or a chart. As students master each procedure/rule check it. The list becomes the "lessons" you will teach until they get them right. My first, must have was always entering the room since this sets the stage for all that follows. 2) Don't wait for students to cause a problem then react by doing procedure or rule over. That's reactionary management. Anticipate when/where a problem may occur and head it off at the pass by practicing before the procedure starts. Example 1: You ask students to pass papers forward. Most do but some see this as a sign to disrupt. You stop everyone and start over (reactionary). Example 2: You start by reviewing procedure for passing papers as carefully as any review lesson - input, modeling, checking for understanding, guided practice, teach your partner. Then you have students perform by passing papers(proactive).

I know what you are thinking: "Yeah, but what if some students still try to delay instruction by goofing off?" And they will. Just to see if you are for real or a fake. Testing the teacher is a right of passage for some. It was for me. If you expect it and have a plan to cut if off before it starts management will begin to head to the back burner where it belongs. Most stress and heading to the medicine cabinet comes from constantly reacting to little disruptions all day long. Proactive teachers don't think, "What kind of consequence should _____ receive for doing _____ ?" They think, "What can I do to prevent _____ from occurring in the first place?"

Although worrying about the innocent suffering due to the few is a valid concern when it comes to practicing over and over it pales when compared to the lost instructional time the innocent suffer every period, every day until June because the teacher must constantly stop instruction to deal with discipline. Fred Jones - "Pay your dues up front or pay all year long. Either way you will pay." Michael Linsin - "If it's one or two students deal with them individually. If it's more than a couple it's whole class." Something else: Like a well-taught math lesson the precision and design of the dismissal lesson (or any procedure) will have a lot to do with how many times one practices. Fast-sloppy and kids will pick up this isn't that important. Jones - "If there is one piece of advice I could give to teachers it would be 'slow down'."

Consequences should be logical not punishment. If a student is disrupting neighbors he/she should be removed so others can get their work done. Missing recess is punishment. Some teachers have success with sending students to a colleague's classroom separated by as many grade levels as possible like 1st to 6th. It has to do with playing to your audience. A packet of self-directed work should be prepared in advance and students should not be allowed to return to class for a minimum of 30 minutes. Of course both teachers need to collaborate in advance to iron out details and it should be reciprocal.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net