ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Identical procedures does not produce identical results
View Single Post

My Guess
Old 11-25-2017, 11:25 AM
Clip to ScrapBook #22

Proximity, redirection, reseating students, buddy rooms, losing recess, and calling parents have not been effective. There has be something else I'm missing.

Let's think about this. It sounds like you've tried everything imaginable without success. You also admit to having lost your spark with this class -
many of us would probably be feeling the same way after months of failure. Yet, you report that another teacher can achieve amazing and immediate results with the your students.

My speculation: Based on my own similar experiences, I would like to offer a "shot in the dark" which may help explain what's going on. Throughout most of my career (until I figured out a solution), I encountered challenging students who were extremely rude and disrespectful to me. Like you, no matter what I did or said, I was unable to change their attitudes and disruptive behaviors. It was my wife who pointed out to me that I just didn't have the right facial features needed to establish authority in my classroom. Looking in the mirror, I could see that maybe she was onto something - my baby face didn't command attention from my students. You know how some colleagues make you feel when they give you their stern, disapproving look? I dare say that even my ethnicity may have been a contributing factor. Could it be that you also possess the same physical disadvantage(s) as I?

Solution: Since I couldn't muster/master that same commanding look even with much practice in front of a mirror, I turned to alternative gimmicks to help me with classroom management - TECHNOLOGY! All kids love anything having to do with technology, so I flipped my classroom to include as much of it as possible: iPads, laptops, SmartBoard. It took a while and involved some trial and error, but now all I have to do is threaten to withdraw tech privileges and even the most challenging student is unrecognizable in class. As teachers, it's sometimes necessary to look beyond merely what we do and how we do it - in other words, the medium often influences the way the message is perceived. In this case, the medium is the message.

Lesson learned: While some teachers have the "look" and others have musical or dramatic talents to get their students to behave properly, those of us with baby faces and "soft" demeanors must rely on other means to achieve the same results.
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.