ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Identical procedures does not produce identical results
View Single Post

Kishkumen

Old 11-28-2017, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Quote:
When lining up place yourself at the back of the line. If there are kids likely to goof off place them at the back too. Tell a line leader at the front to watch and listen for your signal to "Stop". When starting tell line leader to walk to next classroom door (judgment) and stop. Then next door and so on. Call it "Checking for understanding". You want to check spacing, facing forward and no talking. If any of these are not to your standards it's turn around - check- and back to room. Do not wait for disruption then stop. Although you will do this too. Idea is to be proactive and stop disruption before it happens, hence, the stop and check
I walk in the center so I have proximity to both ends of the line, and I can watch the entire line as they go around corners (there are 27 students, so the line is fairly long) Students are always in alphabetical order so taking roll can be done before they go to morning specials.

The class goes to various checkpoints and stops. Lines actually work good. It's getting them into a line that takes multiple attempts.

The exception was today. We had an unannounced fire drill and it was "party time" walking out of the building. The front of the line disappeared out the hall door while I was still checking to see if the classroom was clear (the classroom is only about 90' away from the outside door) and ended up so far ahead they blended into the other classes. Several students were dancing, skipping, laughing, and shouting both ahead of me and behind.

When we came back from the fire drill, we did the same walk again, correctly.

Quote:
Quiet is difficult to teach and enforce. Consider: no talking. How about a Mute Session?

So what happens if a voice is heard during a mute session? If there is no way to determine the source, what is the consequence? What if a quarter of the class simply chooses to ignore the expectations and keep right on talking?

Quote:
Without a heavy-duty incentive you are asking students to miraculously develop a proper work ethic even though many come from homes where chores are done by their parents.
Do you have any suggestions?

Quote:
Consider an incentive like PAT to get students to hustle. In one class a teacher using PAT was able to have students enter the room, go to their seats, take out materials and begin on bell work assignment in 17 seconds. Prior to PAT it took same class 2'45'' to perform same procedure.
My class has been doing a version of PAT since the beginning of the year. We usually gain 15 to 20 minutes each week that can be used on a Fun Friday.
Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net