ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Gizmo GPS Watches- Parents can listen in to our classrooms
View Single Post

seenthelight

Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They are not allowed in my classroom. They violate our cell phone policy. Not only that, but they are not cheap, and my students are still young. Already been there done that with broken/lost/gifted and/or lent without permission expensive things. I take it from the child, and call the parent to come pick it up. Thereís been a couple of instances where the parent wasnít even aware the child had brought it to school. The fifth graders with Apple Watches are bad enough. We used to be 1-1 and BYOD, Iím relieved that we are now truly 1-1.

The other concern is the privacy of the other children. Iíve had ďthatĒ kid in my class more than once. Their parents shouldnít have to worry that on top of everything else they deal with another parent may be listening in and/or recording their childís fits. I get the PPís point, but still, no. It violates FERPA for the other children, and causes headaches when the device inevitably is in some way damaged.

There are plenty of less obtrusive GPS trackers. Not to mention, most of the kids Iíve seen with them have them as a status symbol, and I have a real thing against flaunting the have and the have nots with kids as young as mine.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net