ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Identical procedures does not produce identical results
View Single Post

Kishkumen

Old 12-02-2017, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Quote:
Why do you think students are not responding the first time?
•Consequences are not immediate and severe enough to change behavior
•Students lack of respect because of the first reason

Quote:
Waiting for Friday may be too long for your group. They may not associate the immediate reward of goofing off in the present with reward coming down the road.
I will try this. The trick is to give them structured time rather than "party". This Friday the students were able to start making 3D paper airplane models. Normally it takes 30 minutes as an activity, but they were able to build just the fuselage in 15. This was an improvement over the previous Fun Fridays, where there are multiple board games going on (loudly) which prevents me from noticing students chasing each other between the desks.

When they hit ten minutes, we'll move on to the wings. Something I've learned from experience is to have these after an hour of math, rather than at the end of the day. There's no rush at the end to clean up before dismissal (which leads to me doing most of the clean up afterwards), and then they can resume math after a good break.
Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net