ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Question about typical para responsibility
View Single Post

neanea

Question about typical para responsibility
Old 12-06-2017, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a one on one para for an autistic student. This student is not capable doing grade level work. He is out of the classroom for 1 1\2 hours a day for special ed reading and math. Who is typically responsible for providing work for this student to do while he is in the regular classroom?

Is it typical for the para to find ways to teach the student? Classroom teacher hardly interacts with the student, just leaves me to do all the teaching. Spec ed teachers just tell me to practice math and reading, but I can't do that all day. I find myself being the one modifying the curriculum on my own. Is it typical for the para to find and modify all the work the child can not do?

My student does not have any goals outside spec ed. Example, teacher has regular class work on spelling words, words which are too hard for my student. I don't get a modified list of anything. Teacher knows student can't do her list so she doesn't test student. I will make up my own spelling test, but it is just for having something to do. It is not required of the teacher. Is this typical that I have to do all the modifications and find work for my student to do?

neanea is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net