ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Teaching with Novels
View Single Post

cruxian

Old 12-09-2017, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Huh. I can see how this idea would be kinda like a book talk to get the kids excited about the book while using the book to model the lesson.
I use novels a couple ways: sometimes I use one as a read-aloud. Often. Then I use them frequently in small guided reading groups. I find kids don't always read the books that I think they should during their independent reading time so we do them together. Sometimes it's because they're not aware of the good books while at other times they don't feel confident enough to attack the books.
Sometimes I'll use a sentence or two as a writing model. I used the opening of the One and Only Ivan as a beginning of a writing prompt: "I am Ivan. I am a gorilla. It's not as easy as it looks." They had to model it off that: I am ____. I am ______. It's not as easy as it looks." I gave an explanation of the book and some kids were intrigued enough to read it.
I admit that I generally still use picture books for specific lessons. I can envision using a passage from a text to model an idea....I guess it would depend upon the lesson you needed to teach.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net