ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Is This Really Part of Our Job as Teachers?
View Single Post

NerdTeach

Alternative Assignment
Old 12-13-2017, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It's not fair that you're being expected to buy the supplies and give extra time, etc. But that's the situation you're in.

I think you have probably two good options:

1. Ask for supplies from the principal and work with the student during extra periods like lunch to be in your room, working on the project. I wouldn't spend a bunch of your own money on it, but if the school can provide the supplies, then this is a good option. The student won't feel left out, and it will give you some time with them one-on-one to make sure everything is okay at home.

2. Give an alternative assignment that doesn't require many materials, if any. Powerpoint project, or writing a paper, or making a poster with information printed at the library.

I know that the second option isn't ideal, but it's likely that your student is embarrassed already. At least they would have something to turn into you, and could feel like they at least tried. I know that growing up, we didn't have extra money, and the only reason I ever got any out-of-school projects completed were because I spent my own money, or was in a group with my friends whose parents understood my situation and would eat the cost completely.
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net