ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Is This Really Part of Our Job as Teachers?
View Single Post

daffodils

projects
Old 12-13-2017, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't think it's your job to buy supplies with personal money. The principal, school, PTO or district should supply. However, I do know that there are definitely times that the kid does not have the home life situation that will buy supplies or help with a project.

The parents may be the most supportive, loving parents and really want their children to have a good education, but are working two jobs and all the money they make goes to food and rent and other true necessities.

The parents may be the crappiest parents ever and don't give a D***. Should the kid be penalized for that?

I suggest creating projects that can be done with supplies from school (like get started at school and then take home if you need more time). I'd tell kids a few days in advance that we were working on posters or whatever and they could bring extra supplies if they wanted to but I'd provide paper, markers, crayons, glue. Kids would bring other things, but they could accomplish it without bringing anything and often kids would share extra supplies. Or our project would be in the computer lab. I'd tell kids if they didn't finish in the time given, they'd have to finish at home (my school pretty much every kid had a computer at home they could use). That allowed the one or two who didn't to do it at school (and I could provide extra time if needed in the morning or recess or something)
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net