ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Is This Really Part of Our Job as Teachers?
View Single Post

kahluablast

Old 12-13-2017, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have seen a lot of projects that either require families to buy sometimes pricey materials (edible cell projects) or encourage it (dress like your biography/character). I was just listening to a woman who ordered some Viking outfit from someplace overseas so that her son could dress right for his presentation.

Somewhere these things got a little crazy. And expensive. And then there is a bigger space between the haves and have nots.

I don't think any home project should be expensive or require lots of materials. Time is okay, but more and more, people don't have time. I try not to send much other than day to day classwork. That means I don't do home projects as a rule. I think if we assign them, then we either get a lot of parent work, or a lot of no work. No work frustrates me, because if it is a worthwhile project, then the kid is missing something if they don't do it, so they have to do it. Then I have to find a way to get them the time at school. Easier to just make the time in class for all or not to do the project.

It has taken me a long time to get to this point.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net