ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Is This Really Part of Our Job as Teachers?
View Single Post

cruxian

Old 12-13-2017, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Tawaki, thank you for your eloquence. I"m going to repeat they "did not ask to be born to those maniacs" every time I get irritated at a child for things that are out of their control.
To the OP, you ask why are we doing at school things that can be done at home? Um, it an ALL be done at home. At least in theory. Homeschooling, right? So why am I teaching a kid to read or recognize letters when, in theory, that can be done at home.
On a more practical note, what kind of project are you assigning and what is the purpose of the assignment? Is it fluff? Like a good project you won't have time for that would be awesome for kids to do but you just don't have time to do? Then give it as an optional assignment. Fun and educational for families but extra.
Is is essential to your instruction? Then why in the world are you sending it home? Have you seen how often the parents "help" (or do) the assignments for the kids? I want to make sure the kids are doing the work themselves. So if they hve to do it, they do it at school. Otherwsie I'm assuming parents helped out.
As to what will happen to our country if we're not sending boatloads of homework home? Honestly, not all forms of education are traditional in the academic sense. Many kids, mine included, benefit from educational opportunities outside of school that schools don't currently provide. She participates in a variety of athletic programs that the school does (or does not) offer but take place after school is out. She does artistic programs (theater, musical instruments, things like that). She does community service. She attends theater productions.
All of these educate her in a way her school doesn't. Instead of community service, she should be making a poster board?
And what kind of project do you assign that requires expensive materials? I agree about that separating the haves and have nots. Assignments that I give can be compelted with materials that I have on hand.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net