ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Thankless job?
Thread: Thankless job?
View Single Post

Old 12-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Clip to ScrapBook #13

I stand by my statement on another thread that subbing can be a thankless job. It can!! We're the low people on the school system totem pole, we are poorly paid, we don't get sick days or benefits, and we ARE under appreciated and taken for granted a lot of the time.

That's not to say I don't love it. I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it. Of course there are rough days that feel like I'm struggling each hour just to keep order, let alone teach them something, but those days are fairly few and far between. For me, the good days far outweigh the bad days. When I leave school, I hope to have made a difference, ever how small, in some child's life. That's why I do this. It's not about money or appreciation, it's about the kids. I am rewarded when a kid says, "Why can't you teach us full time? You make math easy and fun instead of hard and boring." I wouldn't get that satisfaction sitting a desk somewhere answering phones.

It's possible to love a "thankless" job just like it's possible to hate a high paying job where your coworkers and superiors heap adoration and appreciation on you. It's about doing a job that you get satisfaction from.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.