ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Is This Really Part of Our Job as Teachers?
View Single Post

Marcee

Yes
Old 12-26-2017, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

Elementary school? Yes. For some children the last thing on their minds is their project. At my school we are required to give them time in class to complete projects. If they need a project board or whatever, we need to provide it for them. Since our school transitioned to this a couple of years ago, I have made more of my instruction project-based. That way all kids have a chance to succeed.

And I hear the thoughts of those who say, "how are we ever going to hold people accountable?" I think, however, that you have to make a distinction here. Elementary school children are sometimes as young as 4-5. They have no control over what they can/can't do in life. They are dealing with the hand they have been dealt, be it wonderful, loving parents, or deadbeat parents that don't care. We are the ones who have to care and as such, teach the accountability piece.

Middle and high school are different. The children there need to take responsibility on a much larger scale. They can do it if we, as elementary school teachers, provide the scaffold for that learning.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net