ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - ELL Students
Thread: ELL Students
View Single Post

Lilacs

Old 12-27-2017, 02:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had a non English student last year at our private school (no ESL services available). She came into second grade at the end of our school year, because she should have enrolled in her country at that time of year to begin second grade. The school year there runs differently. She had lost many first grade skills during their "summer vacation" and did not read or write in her language, and did not speak a word of English. All of her instruction ended up being one on one. I taught her like an incoming kinder student learning to read. I picked the words they word learn to read and taught reading and speaking/listening skills simultaneously. We started with letters/sounds/picture anchor words (ie. a says /a/ in apple - our kinder curriculum has letter cards with pictures). At the same time, I also taught color words, number words, and shapes at the beginning since they are very helpful in describing and making sentences. The color words was helpful since she could do a color words coloring sheet while I was instructing other students. I also did prepositions (in, on , over, above). It was part of the 1st curriculum and was something she could practice with moving objects around to show the meanings. She did all of the classroom skill and drill with us. Our program also has first and second grade phonics charts (ie. ch says /sh/ in ship with photos). It made teaching new words and phonics sounds simultaneous. Calendar, Counting, number patterns, add/subt, time, money...she did with the whole class daily. I had her participate in Spelling (Say spell say, upstairs downstairs letters, etc...the kinesthetic activities). Even if she didn't learn to spell the word, she was hearing sentences to help with comprehension, and practicing letter names. I was fortunate to have a senior helper who spoke her native language in the afternoon to review concepts if needed. She did math with the whole group since that is on the board or more visual. I was also fortunate to have first and second together, so she did the first curriculum. I used kinder books that had lots of pictures, few words, and highly decodable text. Our high school had Rosetta Stone so she used that for a period in the afternoon. I was also fortunate to have two students in the room who spoke her language. I was amazed at how quickly she learned. I had to do completely modified report cards with most comments about skill development and progress. I don't think in first or second, I would teach them to read/write in L1 unless they are already fluent. The research I did online (and you will find many articles if you search) suggested that for upper elementary. It says not to discourage use of the native language...which many teachers said they ban the native language discussions. We are not looking to make them forget a language, just learn a second one. The best age to learn a 2nd language was about eight. I tried to differentiate anyway possible. Just some suggestions, personal thoughts, and a little info I found useful. Trial and error may be necessary. Some days she did have an emotional melt down. The full emersion can be overwhelming. Many short mini lessons worked best for my little friend. She also did well with other kids helping. They went over flashcards (numbers, shapes, colors, letters, phonics, counting) and read her books with her/listened to her read. The other kids loved being her helper. Give yourself some learning room. The fact your willing to try means your doing better than many other teachers might. It can be scary at first...I know I was. Your welcome to message me if you have other questions.
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net