ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Comprehension
Thread: Comprehension
View Single Post

Lilacs

Old 02-06-2018, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks...I did not mean just public school, the assertion from other staff was first grades as a whole. I hope I did not offend. I did not know if most schools had the same practice since I have only taught in this state. In public, I taught comprehension, but we did not assign a letter grade. We did indicate comprehension mastery skills (retells story events, identifies story elements, etc.) However, I wondered how much time other teachers spent on the skill. It is not strong in this curriculum, so I do a lot of adding (similar to what you describe above). I really think first graders should have a daily opportunity to listen to a read aloud story. The difficulty is grading using a percentage. I guess I find reading developmental in nature (many above, on grade, or below level so what dictates an A) and I think many catch on a little later in the year but will end up in the right place to start second. I thought I was losing my mind. Glad to hear other teachers were disturbed by the comment. The other staff don't teach first and haven't for a few years...maybe it is something you forget? I think I am going to do more direct instruction with close reading lessons to teach whole group comprehension strategies. It is not reading if you aren't thinking. I like the underlining idea. Brainstorming aloud helps. Thank you for your response.
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net