ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - School shootings Again
View Single Post

1956BD

Part of the answer
Old 02-14-2018, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I feel part of the answer is more education about mental health problems. Hopefully with more education people will feel it is more acceptable to get help for metal health issues. Or they will see the signs in others and be able to seek help for them.

I feel that Americans in general are very critical of people who need medical care for mental health issues and this makes many people not seek the help that they need. It is definitely a problem in all branches of our military. If someone in the military even asks about help with depression their career is over as they will never receive another advancement.

Many of these shooters have shown signs of mental health problems before their attacks. If parents don't seek help for their child then teachers, neighbors, priests, preachers, grandparents.... should be able to seek help for the child. But they can't really do that if they don't have the knowledge they need to identify the signs.

This is just one of the problems I see. We as Americans have become more accepting of people with learning disabilities and differences. We are also more accepting of people with physical differences and challenges. Why can we not take that next step to accept that some medical issues deal with our minds? There are therapies and medicines to help people with many of these illnesses. And yet they are often not used due to fear of being treated differently by the public.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net