ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - School shootings Again
View Single Post

MissAgnes

My take
Old 02-15-2018, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I believe this all goes back to how society is raising kids (I'm not excluding myself here).
From an early age we are trying to protect our children from "negative" feelings. They are being told that it's bad to be angry, or sad, or disappointed. Everybody wins, no one should have their feelings hurt, and everyone should be happy.
But that's not life. Instead of trying to keep our kids from being hurt or disappointed, or angry, or sad, we need to teach them how to deal with those things. You lost the game? Yeah, that sucks. Feels bad, doesn't it? Let them feel those feelings, then give them the skills and space to learn how to cope!
We are raising a generation of people who have no resilience, no coping skills, and no idea how to deal with rejection, hurt, anger, sadness, disappointment. Without coping skills they are lost and scared, and have no idea what to do with the feelings. We do not expect them to take responsibility for their actions, or feelings. We do not teach them that they are in control of themselves, but rather someone else is responsible for how they feel. So why are we surprised when they take out their anger, frustration, rejection, disappointment on others? They've been taught their entire lives that their situation, their life, their troubles are the fault of someone else!

Add into that access to guns and you have the perfect storm.

I wish I had some answers, but I don't. I live in an area of high gun ownership, and very, very little gun control. You can buy a gun on craigslist or facebook. There is a ton of hunting. But we don't have many school shootings. Granted, our population is small. But I do believe that there is a lot of education from parents and families about responsible gun use and ownership.
My own teens have shot guns and have taken classes in gun safety. HOwever, due to mental health issues with one of my children, I do not allow guns in my home.

I think we need to take a hard look at what we are teaching kids about their emotions, and also need to take a look at gun control.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net