ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - 5th to 3rd!
Thread: 5th to 3rd!
View Single Post

SusanTeach

5th to 3rd
Old 02-15-2018, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I moved from 5th to 3rd many years ago and I couldn't imagine teaching 5th now!

3rd graders are way more innocent (most of them anyway) and adore their teacher. They want to tell you stories all the time, so you have to find time to listen occasionally or they won't be able to concentrate on the lesson!

They're a good mix between independent and still young. They'll still tattle a lot, so I try to make sure they know the difference between things I need to know and what's tattling.

Go over the procedures carefully and practice a lot. I take them through assignments step by step to make sure they understand. Don't assume they can do it alone. They love group work, and do well if you make the guidelines clear. Do that with everything and it will be great.

Books will depend on the level of students you have. Here are popular ones with mine:
Picture books - Give a Mouse a Cookie series, There was an Old Lady series, I am series (Sacajawea, Einstein,....), Chris VanAllsburg books, Skippyjon Jones series,

Chapter books - any graphic novels on their level (Percy Jackson, Baby Mouse), Nate the Great series

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!!!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net