ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Changing from 3rd to 2nd?
View Single Post

kidsrterrific

Fourth grade to second grade
Old 02-19-2018, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My experience is different than previous posters. I was asked, after teaching 20 years of fourth grade, to consider moving down to second grade. I wasn’t sure it was anything I wanted to do.

However, I decided to make the change and it ended up being my favorite grade of all the ones I had taught- which would be third, fourth, fifth, and sixth- before. Best thing I ever did and second grade is the grade I retired with!!!

Previous posters are all correct. The students come in as “first graders” and everything needs to be modeled. They are very dependent and some can be a little clingy at the beginning of the year.

One thing I noticed that hasn’t been mentioned yet is the amount of parent involvement. Parents still hover with second graders which leaves, for the most part, by third grade. So, I made sure communication was prompt and frequent.

Of all the grades I taught, second grade was the grade in which I noticed the greatest dramatic amount of growth from the beginning of the year to the end of the year.

Second graders are a lot like third graders in that they still are enthusiastic about school and love their teacher.

Good luck with your decision and keep us at PT posted.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net