ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Ssr
Thread: Ssr
View Single Post

JulieP

My SSR Times
Old 02-23-2018, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So, we have a built in 15 minutes after recess. At least 3 days a week, each teacher in 5th and 6th read to their class. No students following along. They can get some paper or their drawing journals and draw or doodle, they can color, or they can just sit (or in my room lie down) and ENJOY the story. There are NO responses to the reading, no accountability. Just I'm going to read to you. Sometimes I don't think the kids are listening because they are so focused on drawing, but then I'll stop, and they're like, "NOOOOO!!!!! But we can't stop there. such and such was just about to..." Each teacher reads books to their class that they like, so rarely have we overlapped.

Now, in my class, they can get something to read on their own during this time, and on the other two days they do. I have only one rule on what they can read. It has to have words in it. I don't care if it's a chapter book, picture book, magazine, Game Informer, comic book, graphic novel. I don't require certain lexile levels, or certain genres. I don't care. This is their free to read time.

Other times, we've done partner poems- grab a partner, and read together. I also allow the kids to flip their chairs and use them as back and arm rests.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net