ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - blocking sub
Thread: blocking sub
View Single Post

subasaurus

Gromit
Old 03-01-2018, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

"He also does not follow my plans. I expect the sub to *teach* my students, especially if they are there multi-day jobs."

Ok, so this guy isn't great. He's too relaxed and doesn't engage the students. Fair enough. I understand why you'd want a different sub who is hands on and willing to really dig in to the material.

Funny thing though...

This sub you don't like is me, (although I never take multi-day jobs) and I'll tell you why:

I've heard teachers complain on multiple occasions that subs don't "teach the students right." Ouch. Sounds like subs are in a bit of a catch 22 here. To teach or not to teach? That is the question.

And with common core being implemented now, there's a whole new world of confusing material. Some of it is adult-proof. How does one teach what they don't understand themselves? Subs don't have much time to learn the material in full. They need to improvise half the time. It's like the school system's message to subs is

"Here, teach this curriculum to students you know nothing about. Some students may have special needs but you need to figure that out. You've had a half hour to preview the material, now you know everything. Good luck."

Also, if students are on their laptops working quietly and independently, my voice will distract them and get them talking again. I want silence while students are working independently. Unless they have a question about the assignment. And a lot of the time I find the aides in the room tend to either take over and teach anyway, or simply stare at the teacher in silence.

That's why I'd be a sub you'd block too. And I understand why you would.

Last edited by subasaurus; 03-01-2018 at 09:20 AM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net