ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - blocking sub
Thread: blocking sub
View Single Post

c6g

Old 03-02-2018, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

You pointed out two major issues with this sub. His first flaw was that he was too laid-back, and you have some challenging students who need firm, consistent treatment at all times.

I understand your concerns with this one. Please remember, though, that a sub can't be a clone of a regular teacher. It never works!

About two years ago, I was with a class of rough fifth graders. The teacher had a discipline plan in place (she also had a tough time with them), and I tried to follow it. I won't get into specifics, but some of these darlings tried to get away with a lot, and didn't like it when I said no. One girl was so upset with me for saying no that she complained to her mother . . . who then whined to the principal. The principal told me about it, but I stood my ground. Nothing happened, but I easily could have been excluded from that school. Yes, a teacher can be very firm, but if a sub tries it, it's sometimes a different story.

I could share a number of similar stories. There was the first grade teacher who sometimes yelled at her students to keep them in line, but I would no longer be employed as a sub if I tried that! There was a third grade boy who frequently acted out, but when I tried to impose some consequences, I was told by another teacher to go easy on him because he had a rough situation at home.

In one of the oddest stories of all, I once subbed for a second grade teacher whose classroom management left a lot to be desired. You could see it with the way her students behaved. When I was with them, I was kind, but very firm. A classroom parapro whispered to me with a lot of admiration, "It's never this good in here when Mrs. __________ is in the room!"

Your second concern was that the sub didn't follow the lesson plan. There's no excuse for this, and I'd be upset too. At the same time, as others have pointed out, there are occasions when the plans are confusing or the lesson is a very complicated one. If a sub is there for a few days, it's one thing, but if it's a one-day job, it's another. Examples: 1. A teacher-directed science experiment involving lot of steps and a lot of supplies. 2. A long and intense teacher-directed math lesson with a lot of new terminology and new material. 3. A teacher-directed language arts lesson in which the teacher says to cover x, y, and y, while also telling the sub to follow the teaching plan prepared by another person which presents the material differently.

You also mentioned technology. That's an interesting one. I had a teacher once tell me not to use any of the classroom's technology, even though I knew how to use it. That made my day much harder than it should have been.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net