ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - blocking sub
Thread: blocking sub
View Single Post

mrsd5

Good thread!
Old 03-03-2018, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

As a full-time teacher, I did leave detailed lesson plans. We were required to have a sub binder with emergency for one day, 3 days, and a week. One sub that I requested not be in my room anymore (went to college with her way back when and we are friends) was one of the permanent subs for our district. She was great with the little kids. But she was "me" for 3 weeks when I was out for a hysterectomy. I had two file bins of what she needed to do. The first bin was for the first week. It had all of the materials (copied), answer keys, and plans for each day. The second bin had the plans, materials (not copied), answer keys, etc. She didn't grade a thing. One of my team members brought me all of the stuff to grade. Then he'd pick it up for her to hand back (which she didn't). The only things I planned on grading were their final essays for the year. She knew all this in advance. It was a nightmare. She didn't teach. She handed out their assignments and told them what to do. Technically, she followed the plans, as far as assignments. But there was no reading and discussing the reading. She told them the pages to read, and then sat and crocheted. Ugh!

The two who were blocked by the district were not educators. One blew a whistle in my room whenever she wanted students' attention or whenever it got too loud. I was gone for 8 days when hubby had surgery. She made it 4 days before they got a different (and amazing) sub for me. She subbed at the high school and did the same thing. The other one was a guy who the kids liked. He was their friend. It did NOT go well. My room was a mess. I was only gone one day, and the principal or asst. principal were in and out of the room all day. They blocked him from the school after giving him one more chance. AND the kids who were involved in making a mess got consequences.

Now, as a sub, I try and follow the teachers' directions. I do have most of their cell numbers and can message them with questions. I do wish they'd had this when I was teaching full time. If I don't have their passwords or don't understand an assignment, I can quickly message them. Most of my sub jobs are requests. I can only sub 100 days a year, so can afford to be picky, too. And it helps that I mostly sub in my old building, where I know the staff and the rules. Subbing is not easy. I know that. And I also know that I can't teach the littles. They scare me. But I'm good with grades -12, so that's where I accept most of my jobs. I'll do upper elementary if I get a call from a school and don't have a job already. But no littles!
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net