ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Perimeter and Area???
View Single Post

AussieBird

Area fun
Old 04-01-2008, 09:09 AM

I think I first read about this fun activity on a teachers' forum.

First, do class work on estimating and then calculating the areas of items of regular shape on grid paper. Dice and grid games (see sample attached) are great for this.

Bigfoot lives !

After these preliminary activities, provide a squared centimeter paper grid for each student. Have students trace an outline of their bare foot on the centimeter paper with a partner's help. Students then count up the full squares and the part squares (I add up all the part squares and divide these by 2 and then add this total to the total of the whole squares.).Record the final total as squared centimeters on the foot outlines, along with the student's name.

To make the activity really engaging, first prepare a class chart with 4 columns for the kids to fill in progressively: their name, their estimate of the area of their foot, the actual area of their foot and their guess of which student will have the 'biggest' foot. The kids love guessing who will be the class bigfoot.

Finally, create a bulletin board with the chart, the kids' footprints trailing behind a picture of Bigfoot himself with the face part missing. Ask permission for this - put a picture of the face of the child in the class with the biggest foot in place of Bigfoot's.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Area 2 Dice game.doc (102.0 KB, 1763 views)
AussieBird is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net