ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Dyslexia (long and confusing!)
View Single Post
mt

mt

Dyslexia
Old 04-12-2008, 08:24 AM

as EarthMonkey said, is a widely thrown-around term, and is often a face-saving term. I have taught reading to thousands of children, and have not yet had a single dyslexic child.

No one in public schools, unless they have a masters specifically in dyslexia, is qualified to prescribe remediation for dyslexia. True dyslexia must be diagnosed by a neurologist, not the school. So unless all those cum files have neurologists' diagnoses, I'm not ready to call your students dyslexic. A parent saying a child is dyslexic is NOT good enough and should never be accepted without a neurologist's diagnosis to corroborate what the parent says.

Dyslexia occurs almost exclusively within gifted populations, with a high number of dylexics somewhere on the autism spectrum (autistic kids show a disproportional representation in giftedness).

There are many different types of dylexia, depending upon where in the brain the dyslexia arises. Dsylexia can arise in Wernicke's area, which often produces dysphonetic dyslexia. It can arise in Broca's area, which can cause dyseidetic dyslexia (cannot acquire sight vocabulary). It can arise in the corpus callosuem (sp) or can be generalized across the entire cortex. All of these are very different types of dyslexia. Are these children dysphonetic dyslexics? Or dyseidetic? Or, more rarely, both? If no one in the school has asked these questions, or even knew to ask these questions, or knew there were so many different types, then I'm sorry, but it's not responsible to call these children dyslexic.

Many children have reading difficulties, some severe. They are not automatically dyslexic, nor should they be labeled as such. In fact, MOST children with reading disabilities are not dyslexic.

Adults who are functionally illiterate are fond of saying they're dyslexic. Most of them are not, either.

I do not mean to say that anyone on here with diagnosed students, or children of their own with diagnoses, are wrong. I am speaking in terms of the general classroom, and I am speaking out against widespread and irresponsible use of this term.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net