ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Any ideas for Earth Day Lesson?
View Single Post

luv2teach77

Earth Day
Old 04-21-2008, 03:31 PM

Here are some ideas/activities I use for Earth Day:

*Read What the World Needs...this is a great book written by a fourth grade class. It illustrates what they think the Earth needs to become a better place. After
reading this story, I have each student draw/color a picture of something they think the Earth needs. They then write a sentence under their illustration (Our Earth needs__________) We bind all the pages together to make a class book.

*Create coffee filter Earths. Have each student color a coffee filter using a green and blue marker. I stress that they should use more blue than green as the Earth is made up of more water than land. Then using a dropper, drop several drops of water onto the filter so that the colors bleed together or use a spray bottle and squirt the filters. Allow time to dry. I then attach a wallet size dig. picture to each Earth and then laminate them. I also have each student trace their hand on green construction paper, cut it out, and write one thing on it that they can do to protect our Earth. You can use these to make a bulletin board or hallway display titled "Earth: It's in our Hands"...(see attached image)

*Read The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry. Draw a large tree outline on chart paper and make a class generated list of the animals from the story that were going to lose their homes if the tree were to be cut down. Then add other items that trees provide us (fruits, nuts, wood, oxygen, beauty). Discuss what it would be like if the Earth had no trees.

*Read The Lorax. Have your students create Earth Day posters to hang around the school for awareness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg earthday.jpg.jpg (44.2 KB, 268 views)
luv2teach77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net