ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - K-4 phonics based spelling program?
View Single Post

ConnieWI

Words Their Way
Old 05-29-2008, 06:13 PM

I highly recommend Words Their Way. My district bought each teacher Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction by Donald Bear (and others) and our staff development began with this book. They also purchased the student word study notebooks (Celebration Press) for each child. This program comes with computer CDs that include the weekly word lists, teacher materials for teaching each sort, and the games for each sort.

This first year has been busy...continued grade level staff development, making the games for each sort and cards to play the games, and materials the teacher needs to introduce each sort. However, I love the program. My students are much better spellers. I also like the fact that students are pretested and then placed at their spelling level. In my room, I have seven students at Level B, twelve students at level C, and seven students at level D.

Next year will be so much easier because everything is now made and I have kept everything organized in binders with plastic sleeves.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net