ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - James and the Giant Peach
View Single Post

Kermit

Old 06-22-2008, 04:55 PM

I would do it as a read aloud, but incorporate it more than maybe you normally would with activities and maybe some reader's theatre. The script is pretty available. We have it in a book in our school library, so you could probably look for it in the public library- it's in an anthology.

There are some other activities you could do, like write letters to the aunts and tell them just what you think of them! write a tour guide brochure for the peach when it is on display. Research the different bugs, RAISE SILK WORMS! (There are kits for this!) and whatever else you can think of. Aside from which, I think this book may end up being too hard for some of the kids.

I say a read aloud is best. Then, after the play, watch the movie together (there are probably a couple versions, cartoon and maybe live action or animated?) Anyway, the kids could compare the book to the play AND the movie, or just choose to compare two of them. I have not taught the book, but I directed the play a few years ago. We did a few of these activities as part of the rehearsal process. The others I just thought of, so I don't know how they would work.

http://www.suekayton.com/silk.htm
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net