ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Hints for Organizing Library
View Single Post

MrsCroak

LindaR
Old 06-27-2008, 04:56 AM

lol. no need to camp out...i've got back up bins if i need to add more. just an FYI, if dollar tree has something you like but you need more, they offer online ordering (in bulk) at www.dollartreedirect.com -- there is a 5 dollar processing fee, but you can get free shipping if you have it delivered to your local store. the online stock changes frequently.

as for my checkout system, it took a lot of prep, but only had 4 missing books last year and my kids were fined for them without arguing about it. i glued a library pocket in the back of every book (and had some students do this as well). then i put an index card in the back with the title and author's last name on it, and a space for the kids to write their name and the date.

when they finish or abandon a book, they come to me during checkout time and i check the book back in by writing the date and placing the card back. the books are organized so the kids can put them back in the right place. then they can shop for more books. when they find the books they want, they fill in each index card and bring them to me. i have a binder where each kid has their own ziploc bag punched inside. i place the index cards inside the bag. being clear, it makes it easy to see who has how many books checked out.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/100_1763.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/100_1764.jpg

my kids carry the bags in ziploc bags to help contain them.

when i started the new checkout system, i sent home a letter with a form for the parents and students to sign, letting them know what was expected of them AND what to do if they lost a book.

here is that form:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf permissionslip.pdf (57.8 KB, 68 views)
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net