ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Classroom Mgt. Ideas
View Single Post

bamateach

mgt
Old 06-22-2006, 06:29 PM

Here are a few things I do:
1. Sharpening Pencils - I personally cannot stand to hear the pencil sharpener. I post a sign above the pencil sharpener that says: STOP! You may only sharpen pencils from 7:30 (that's when the bell rings) until the pledge. On Monday I give each student 2 new sharpened pencils. I explain from the beginning that they are responsible for keeping up with them and for sharpening them at the appropriate time. If they get lost they will need to borrow one from a friend and be responsible enough to return it to the person when they are done with it.

2. I do bonus bucks to reinforce good behavior. They visit the Bonus Buck store 1 time per month. Prizes are mostly freebies. The most popular prizes were shoes off all day and read to the class. At the end of the year I offered bonus bucks for returning items to school. Very effective in getting my books back.

3. I post 3 rules during center/small group time. They read them prior to beginning the center rotation. They are 1. Do not roam around the room. 2. No talking unless it is with your group and work oriented. 3. DO NOT INTERRUPT TEACHER.

4. Most important for anything that you implement is for you to stick to it. I do not waver on things like the interrupting me during small group or sharpening pencil thing unless they are bleeding or barfing or dying! Be Consistent.
bamateach is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net