ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Daily Language statistics
View Single Post

LindaR

Daily Language Editing...
Old 07-09-2006, 04:30 PM

I've tried various language practice activities with mixed results. Many of my sixth grade students struggle with grammar and punctuation, run-ons and fragments... This past year, I've focused on what my students need to know (State Standards) and what they do and do not know (based on their writing).

I've pulled various completed papers of my students (without identifying them) and written sentences on the overhead. After explaining the purpose of the language practice (no more than two corrections regarding spelling pattern, punctuation, sentence structure, etc.), I would let the students know that I've noticed many papers with the same challenges. The students are required to write the sentences correctly in their Literacy binders, and then I randomly choose students to come to the overhead to make corrections.

I will also use sentences from the reading texts (including science and history) to provide more consistency. Sometimes students will choose a challenging sentence from their reading, re-write it, leaving out the puctuation. Then, they exchange papers and make the necessary corrections. My students really like this activity.

My students have shown tremendous growth by these daily language activities, because there is a clear purpose set. My students don't consider this as "busy work." I think it's important to use this time to supplement more explicit instruction in word work. In addition to considering the research of others, we need to be our own action researcher to see what works for our students.

LindaR
LindaR is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net