ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Word Wall...help, please!
View Single Post

Lori2006

For everything
Old 07-16-2006, 09:06 PM

I really never received direct instruction of what the proper ways of using word walls was...so I made up my own rules. I use it for every subject. I use index cards, and glue them on different color construction paper (one color per subject). I use them mostly as a reference board - for example, for Math words, I write the word, write a description (provided by the students) and draw a picture. When the wall gets "crowded" I will take the words from the beginning of the year and "quiz" the students orally as to their meaning and if we are all in agreement that they no longer need the word up on the wall, it comes down and gets put in a box. The rule is, as long as one person still needs it for reference, it stays up. Anyone can visit the "retired box" throughout the rest of the year.
As for "high frequency list" for their writing, I make posters on chart tablet paper with student suggestions. Like "color words," "scent words," etc.

Don't know if this is what you had in mind...but thanks - it really got me thinking about how I am going to use my word wall this year too.
Lori2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net