ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Attention Signals
View Single Post

BirdSong

this really works...
Old 07-21-2006, 06:37 AM

I've tried all kinds of things from raising my hand and quietly waiting to using a train whistle. Eventually, the kids get numb to it. A very experiences colleague of mine suggested this (and I've used it ever since): After asking them to get quiet and they don't, put your hand in the air and count to a 2 second beat using your fingers. Don't say a word. My kids know that for every finger I raise, that's 1 minute off thier recess for the day or the next day if we've already had recess. When the first student sees me counting, they are quick to bring it to the attention of everyone else. It gets quiet very quickly and I let them know how many minutes they lost. I keep track on the board so they see how their behavior affects their day...and that there are consequences. This may sound harsh, but there are only 2-3 days in the entire year when I have to take away the whole recess...and usually it is only about 4 minutes. I also give them the chance to earn back time by showing good behavior in the halls, special areas, etc...
BirdSong is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net