ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - first week of school in 1st grade
View Single Post

Nana6

Old 07-27-2006, 07:17 PM

I use the Kevin Henkes books for teaching appropriate behavior and discussing some of the fears first graders might have. For example, for names you can use Chrysanthemum and do all kinds of name activities. I add each child's name to the word wall and use them as beginning connections for phonics. This word cheese has the same beginning sound as Charles. etc. You can count letters in names and graph the results, How many names have five letters... Or make name banners and have children decorate their banners with things they like favorite animal, food, sport etc.
Which names have one part/syllable or two parts....Then Wemberly is a good one for discussing things you might have been worried about. Shelia the Brave is fun. You can find just about every kind of problem a young child might have. My children love these characters- Wendell, Owen, we love them all. You'll spend a lot of time doing things together and practicing procedures and some time doing individual evaluations such as alphabet reconginition, sound letter correspondence, sight words. The time will fly. If I can help you with anything else let me know.
Diana
Nana6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net