ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - reader's theatre
View Single Post

emg123

Reader's Theatre
Old 08-04-2006, 12:08 PM

I have done it with my second graders and they just love it! I did a whole fairy tale unit and as a culminating activity students did reader's theatre for humorous fairy tales, for example Goldilocks and the Three Bullfrogs. This is how I did it. I first assigned parts. I do consider reading ability. I do not want to give a struggling reader a part that would be too difficult. I know that the purpose is for fluency practice, but I want everyone to feel successful. After I assign the parts the kids read it through a few times at their desks. I have them focus on reading it fluently with feeling. Next I have them make a decorated name tag for their part that they can wear around their neck when they "perform". For example if he/she is a narrator that child would make a name tag that says "Narrator" and would decorate a colorful border around it. The kids then practice their "performance". I realize that reader's theater is not like a real play, but I have found that the kids like to put some sort of action and movement into their play. The students practice over and over again and then finally, I invite other classes into my room to watch my students perform. The kids think this is a hoot and they really ham it up. This whole process could take a week or two, but I can tell you they never got sick of practicing and couldn't wait for other classes to see the performance.
emg123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net