ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Parents and Teachers Working Together
View Single Post

Mrs. R :)

Yes
Old 05-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is one of the "core' books I use all year, every year. It directly supports two of our guiding principles;
  • Knowing the children we teach—individually,culturally, and developmentally—is as importantas knowing the content we teach.
  • Knowing the families of the children we teachand working with them as partners is essential to children’s education
I once was in the place in my teaching career where I rolled my eyes at parents, and felt unappreciated for what I do with their child in my classroom. Then I read this book and took a hard look at my practicies. Was this really exclusively MY classroom? Was I communicating positive news to parents about their child on a regular basis? Did I make an effort to behave as if I truly believed parents are partners in their child's education? Was that even part of my philosophy?

Once I answered those questions, my work with families changed. Yes, there are still some who don't believe in the Responsive Classroom Approach. Some still view "take a break" as punitive. Some don't understand "logical consequences". But overall, they feel connected to their child's learning. I know because I sent home surveys asking this very question.

I hope it helps you as much as it helped me! Enjoy!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net