ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Students Don't Like Me
View Single Post

OneOldGoat

Old 11-08-2014, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

do you crack jokes?

I've got a really good rapport with my students this year even though I grade REALLY hard (very little of their grade is based on "what they do"... 90% is based on what they understand which I gather through assessment).

All it takes is a few jokes ... I had a student asking to go to the bathroom right when class started the other day, he explained that he hadn't had a chance to go because he had to talk to his previous teacher after class. He's not one of my frequent flyers and I knew he'd get the warm up done in about ten seconds when he got back so I let him go.

One of the problems in the warm up had the letter "p" as the variable. So as I was explaining how to factor the thing i was repeatedly saying "p." About halfway through the explanation I remarked "i guess it's a good thing johnny went to the bathroom before this explanation"... the crowd erupted. It did take a few minutes to get the laughing to stop, but it was great. They see me as a human with a sense of humor who can cut loose, but I haven't had to compromise the level of rigor in my class.

another thing you can do is schedule a quiz or a test on a date when you know they won't be ready for it, then the day before compassionately tell them that you realize that they're not quite ready and you want to give them an extra day to review. They'll think you're REALLY understanding then.

Anyway, this is what's working for me this year.

good luck... but the way, I'm an overweight, nerdy-dressing 49 year old woman.

OneOldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net