ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Students Don't Like Me
View Single Post

AMDucky

Old 12-25-2014, 11:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach ESL 9th and 11th grade sheltered English. My students hug me and call me out to wave hi in passing. You have to build a rapport with them. Yes, sometimes I make jokes - harmless ones and oftentimes, I'm the butt of those jokes. Tell them things about yourself. Talk to them upon entry. Give them high fives, notice them. A lot of students don't get attention at home. Give them attention and they'll love you. Tell them things about yourself, your family, what you did on the weekend, what you plan to do, etc. ASk if someone wants to share something at the beginning of class on a Monday or Friday. Build a community, a family within your classroom. I'm also fair. I treat everyone equally and tell them so. I might tell one student that I can not do x for them as I would have to do x for everyone. Students appreciate that. Be honest. Don't be condescending. Ive had many students call me "mom" and I don't mind. I have a son that is a 9th grader in a different district (as we live in a diff district from where I teach), so I very well could be their mom!
AMDucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net