ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Students Don't Like Me
View Single Post

Typo_2

Give them space (their entitled to fail too)
Old 04-14-2015, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with AMDucky but you have to have boundaries. There are many teachers in my school who seem to curry favour with students & play favortism too. Its the same anywhere there are schools. Don't worry about it MsImpisi since that's not the way you'll gain respect & really although having your students like you is nice - having respect can be more rewarding (when they come back to visit you!)

I used to feel the same (unliked/unwanted). In fact, I used to help with our announcements and they got too long so I had to turn some students back. This act made me very unpopular for a couple years. I had to work hard to gain students' trust again. I have found a few tips that may help (in my own journey to get students back in my corner). First, don't get too worked up if the student doesn't love your subject area. As others have told me- they have a right to fail. Give them warnings, and try to throw ropes/give them opportunities for remediation, but if they don't show up or fail tests- there's nothing you can do about it. Second, remember to keep your classes student-centered & give them engaging lessons that they can learn your lessons themselves. Give them some distance. I don't always corner students who mess up (give them a chance to save face) and each needs a 2nd chance. Expect the unexpected (& throw it in -even though you planned it- into your lessons). Use humour, inject a bit of fun into your class, use multi-media and the NET, social media and stuff they relate to.

Remember- whether a student takes to you or not has nothing to do with your gender. I am a male teacher who's admired many a lady at our school who have regular followings. Sometimes a male student will hate a female b/c she reminds him of his mother who left home (or typically vice-versa!) I've had many a female student who either "loves" or "hates" my style of teaching.

Good luck (& I hope you don't quit!)
Typo_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net