ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - HELP! Conservation Class Curriculum
View Single Post

lisa53

Old 05-27-2015, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Another question: what's the student population? Is it for any student who wants to sign up? honors students? students who need a science credit but can't or won't manage a rigorous chemistry/physics class?

Also, where are you located? Do you have access to outdoor facilities?

My dsil took a program at the local votech high school called Natural Resources. They learned some forestry, ran a maple sugar operation, built a small cabin, learned to run a chain saw, backhoe, etc.

At the other end of the spectrum is the AP Environmental Science course I teach, which is all about experimental method and ecology.

You want to meet somewhere in the middle of that, I think...An environmental science text will have a lot of useful stuff for you. I have some ideas for what I might do if I were teaching such a course. I would probably make it very practical...consider waste management in our school (recycle program, composting, etc), do home energy audits, test tap water and water from local lakes and rivers, grow a school garden, study local environmental issues, field trips to water and waste water treatment plants, landfill, local farms, a green building or net zero energy building, etc. There are tons of citizen science opportunities such as removing invasive plants, participating in bird counts, etc.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net