ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - They didn't plan this one right.
View Single Post

MaineSub

Not right, but best?
Old 12-04-2018, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sometimes there's no "right" decision... just a "best" one. I tend to agree with those who've said they would not leave students alone but...

I was walking down the hall one day and a fifth grader saw me... she hopped from her classroom into the hall and said, "Mr. B, we don't have a teacher." Fortunately, I was in the middle of a planning period so I went in... the kids were working independently, all seemed to be on task, just a bit worried. I called the office, informed them of the situation, and said I would stay until an adult showed up. It worked out well... and I later discovered that (you have to love this one) the sub who was coming in to replace the original sub was late... and the original sub told the kids she couldn't stay so they should just keep working until somebody showed up! Interesting that a fifth grader figured out this wasn't the "right" thing and two subs didn't.

It was just one of those crazy days. Too many teachers out, not enough subs... Certainly not a typical day but also the sort of day that's going to require some "best" decisions because you simply can't always be right. (If I'd been obligated somewhere else, I'd have probably asked a neighboring teacher to keep an eye on the kids until the office responded.)
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net