ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - increasing book fair attendance/sales
View Single Post

sharichka

Book fair
Old 02-18-2015, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My fall fair always does better than my Spring fair. I chalk it up to people doing holiday shopping during the fall. Also, I hold both fairs during conference week. Fall conferences are required for all students, so we have a lot of traffic at the school. The Spring fair is just for students who are struggling, so we don't have as many parents milling around. The first night of the fair is billed "early bird shopping night" and is held for 2 hours before the PTA movie night. A lot of people will come shop at the fair and then stay for movie night. Anyone who buys a book at the early bird event is entered into a drawing to win a $25 gift certificate for their teacher/class. Usually the teacher will bring the child who won the certificate into the fair to pick out books for the classroom library. My principal always schedules an AR awards ceremony during book fair week and makes sure to mention the fair to parents in the audience. Each teacher presents the AR certificates to their class and most of them mention the book fair during their remarks.

I utilize the book fair home page in the tool kit and have that on my school website. Each class comes for a preview and most make a wish list. Another thing I do, time permitting, is have one of my volunteers look up the AR levels for books at the fair and label the books with a post-it note that has the AR level on it. Parents really appreciate that, and tend to buy more books if they know that it is in their child's AR level.
sharichka is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net