ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Art
Thread: Art
View Single Post

Fenwick

Old 04-06-2019, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I attended an art workshop while back put on by an art teacher from another school. One of her first questions to the group was, "When you teach math do you allow your students to socialize, get out of their seats or play with their materials?" From the group, "No". Her response, "Of course not. That's because you know math takes concentration, focus and attention to detail." Then she added, "Then why do you allow students to socialize, get out of their seats and play with materials during art? Are you telling them art has no skills or concepts worth their time? Are you saying art is so easy anyone can do it even when chatting with neighbors or hopping around the room?"

Like many at the time, I took the position art was a "free to be you and me" activity. The premise being too many rules would stifle creativity. Thanks to this teacher, I reconstructed my art lessons just like my math and other "content" lessons. Students produced more art of better quality and had a better time doing it. In short, students will attach about the same importance to a lesson as the teacher.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net