ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Masters advice
Thread: Masters advice
View Single Post

twin2

Masters advice
Old 06-25-2019, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was a para who became a teacher, and still don't have my own classroom. I have been a substitute teacher, had a couple (short) long term positions, and worked a year as a title I tutor, pulling students for small group reading and flex group math. Last year I made it into the teacher pool but only had two interviews. This year I didn't make it into the general Ed teacher pool, but made it for the special Ed pool. I feel the least qualified for this, especially since I do not have my special Ed endorsement. I do not want special Ed either, but would take it to get in as a permanent position, but I doubt it would be offered. My tutor position is part time, and I do not qualify for benefits, and am not even considered staff.

I'm looking into masters programs to make myself more marketable, or maybe it's to give me something to do to keep me up on the things of education-- the terms and practices that I seem to be getting cloudy on because I haven't practiced them. I'm expected to answer these interview questions as a seasoned teacher yet I've never had my own classroom. I am trying to get into a Title I school district. Some of the schools have students with more significant behavior problems and varying levels of poverty.

The programs I've looked into are Teaching in the Inclusive Classroom, Curriculum and Methods, Steam, and teaching the traumatized child. Because I used the words, "make myself more marketable" the entrance counselor at the college suggested the STEAM program. I'm not at all sure that's for me. Honestly, I'm afraid I wouldn't succeed, but I really don't know. I feel like I just need to get into the classroom and am leaning towards the Teaching in inclusive classrooms program.

How do you think this would be viewed by the school system? Am I spot on or thinking too narrowly?

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net