ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Several ADHD students and one autistic
View Single Post

mooba1

Old 04-24-2019, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I absolutely hate the clip system, but the lower grades use it, so of course I have to abide by it. How in the world is the teacher getting away with rewarding the kids with candy? Clipping up is supposed to be the reward in that wonderful system. Yeesh.

You may be dealing with poor classroom management from the teacher the kids have had all year, or it could be a bad combination of kids in that first group. I would say you’re going to have to get compliance first, and that may temporarily come at the expense of the curriculum.

Think about what triggers the drama. Maybe you could have a come to Jesus meeting with the offenders and do some role-playing regarding how to talk to one another. Not sure how to get across what I’m trying to say, but it could be sort of a counseling meeting.

One of the most effective things I ever did was to pull a group of 5 kids every dadgum day at lunch, gah! I’d mix it up by drawing popsicle sticks w/ their names on them, so the groups were never the same mix of kids. It became a real thing, eating lunch with me. I gave myself Fridays off, so I could eat in peace, lol.

What worked was that we all got to know each other on a personal level, and the kids would tell things in that small group that they never would have told me otherwise. Win the troublemakers over to your side by getting to know them. Find something they’re interested in, and have a conversation with them about it.

The other thing that I’ve found that is calming is to set a Pandora station on “ classical music for studying” and have it playing softly when the kids first come in and also when they’re doing independent work. It really helps.

Hopefully some of this makes sense, as I’ve just been typing random thoughts here right before I call it a night. Good luck, and hang in there, elepen!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net