ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Drowning in 5th
Thread: Drowning in 5th
View Single Post

evansvilleace

Drowning in 5th
Old 11-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, so I moved here from Japan two years ago. I came back to the US for professional development, as I felt like I was stagnating in Japan. Well, after these two years, I would give anything to go back.

These kids know nothing and they (and their former teachers) just don't care! Two out of every three students in my grade level don't have their multiplication facts from 1-10 down fluently. They struggle with basic subtraction. They can't grasp that 287 is not the same as 728. When I asked their fourth grade teacher about it, I get, "Yeah, that was a hard bunch, but this year's is better!" Well, now I have that "better" bunch and it's just more of the same.

I work with them in small groups and one-on-one. They resent me for pulling them during their "homework time", which is the only time I'm allowed to pull them, and they just do whatever they can to get out of there as quickly as possible. I always find the extra practice from small group either in the recycling bin or the trash. Or, with my critically low students, I've enrolled them in XtraMath and I never see anything done.

Also, when I'm reteaching my lower periods the 3rd/4th grade standards they missed, that's always when my principal does a walkthrough and I've been told, on more than one occasion, that I'm supposed to be teaching the fifth grade standards, not anything lower. Well, I'm sorry, but these periods don't even know 74 and now I'm supposed to be teaching them 345117? It's just not possible. How do I teach 5th grade math with 2nd grade-level students?

evansvilleace is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net