ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - "flexiblish" seating/ no assigned seats
View Single Post

Gromit

Old 08-18-2018, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think of flexible seating as opportunities for choice and alternative seating as something other than desks. So I do flexible seating but not a lot of alternative seating. Pillows if they want to sit on the floor and desks at standing, sitting, and kneeling height.

They get to pick the type of desk but it’s theirs. The flexible is that they’re allowed to pick their desk or somewhere else during any independent work time. I tried 100% flexible with no home base and it really stresses out about half the kids.

For transitioning, we practice transitioning from whole group to independent work and I release a few at a time so that different kids get to pick first at different times. If they haven’t found a spot within a count of fifteen, they default to home base.

They get to keep their alternative spot for the duration of the task, but when we come back to whole group and get released again, someone else is able to pick that spot. I kee an eye out for kids who use power dynamics to ensure no one picks their spot even if they get released last.

When picking a choice spot, they must sit no closer than fingertip to fingertip for individual work. Groups must sit EEKK (elbow to elbow and knee to knee) and in a different section of the room than any other group.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net