ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Power shut off in CA
View Single Post

cvt

eeza
Old 10-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Customers have been paying crazy rates for a long time and I don't think it's too much to expect that PG&E maintain their lines and make sure vegetation is cut back to prevent a wildfire. This should not be the new normal. It will only be the new normal if we allow them to make it the new normal.
I agree. They had lawsuits because their lack of maintenance caused the fires (at least in here SoCal), and now they've decided they'll just shut everything down rather than do regular maintenance. This is basically the utility companies thumbing their noses at their customers.

I hadn't thought about school closures until rachelmpd mentioned it. I also wonder what will happen with grocery stores, gas stations, banks, ATMs, businesses, tech and bio companies, etc.
I remember the great 2011 Southwest Blackout, which affected a huge swath of SoCal and Arizona and lasted a day, during which people couldn't get gas because the pumps run on electricity, banks closed, ATMs didn't function, grocery stores that didn't have generators lost a lot of their frozen/refrigerated inventory, etc. And that was just a one-day power outage. The utilities companies are threatening to turn off the power for up to 5 days. This is going to cost the CA economy billions of dollars.

I bet there is going to be a run on generators.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net